Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 490

Thread: Random: Random subject thread (NOT insanity)

  1. #441
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    1 gig is max so far. Working on 2 gig.

    And one pepisode of anime only ends up around 70 MB or so, since you dn't need a high resolution

  2. #442
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The UMD format has received lots of attention from the film industry, and most of the big names have signed up for its use. Its going to be a successful medium, if an inflexible one.

  3. #443
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Meh, don't see how it hurts to make UMD movies. Not everyone can download movies or such and turn them into MPEG4 for their PSP.

  4. #444
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1 gig is max so far. Working on 2 gig.

    That's good news.


    Meh, don't see how it hurts to make UMD movies.

    It doesn't hurt at all, but I'm not stupid enough to buy them. Why paying full price (or even half price) for a low quality version of a movie you can only watch with a PSP's tiny screen? And why paying twice for movies I like? When I buy a movie, I consider it's a license to watch the movie what I pay. I may then watch it in whatever media I want, as long as I'm only using one at a time for my personal use.

    I can just rip my legally purchased DVDs (earning extra macho points for Dee Eee Cee *whistle* Ess Essing them and removing regional aggression), and make them into the PSP if I want to watch them there that badly, while keeping the highest quality, full featured, fully compatible version for my general use.

    And with 1 GB memory cards, I could fit a lot of very good stuff. I would use the highest bitrate the machine can pull for more precision and less blocking, so I'd try at 70, 100, and 120 MB anyways, but if we're talking 70 MB, that means I could fit an entire 12-13 chapter seasons of most modern anime. I'm very pleased with the idea, the PSP is getting extra WiseMarks (TM) for the large memory cards.

    BTW, for how long can you watch stuff with a full battery load?

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ June 02, 2005 06:28 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  5. #445
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Um... 4 or 5 hours? Haven't really watched many movies.

  6. #446
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Woooooooow! ^O^ [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    To tell the truth, i like a console to play... Will there be smutty games?

    And also, it seems they're using the UMD disc's to make a sort of submarket of the DVD format, as it is also divided into regions like the very DVD format...even in the same fashion (1 for US, 2 for europe and Japan....) Odd thing to do from SONY, IMO, after they had a really bad stuff when they did the BETA (a propietary format from them) videos, people simply would choose mini-DVD instead!.

    I'd leave UMD's only for PSP games, re-inventing the mini-dvd is just too obvious.

  7. #447
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anyhow... having Mini DVD, being a standard DVD format, makes UMD simply redundant, i don't mean useless, but simply that if you had already a format which was free, standard, with regional bullshit, and far cheapper to produce than the UMD, why sell it? is common sense. I don't see the true utility of the UMD disks but making Sony get money with a propietary format, which is, IMO condemned to death because it's a Mini DVD ripoff.

  8. #448
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Because having the PSP compatible with miniDVDs would make it easier to pirate them. And just havign the movies on mini DVDs would make it easier to pirate them.

  9. #449
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, just a piracy challenge? curious way to sell consoles, isn't it?

  10. #450
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Not really. It's how Nintendo's been doing GCN and DS, and it's worked for them. And I'm not sure, but I wouldn't doubt the Revolution being a new format. Haven't read about it yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •